After his graduation at Bunka Fashion college in Tokyo in 2000, Fukuoka born Fumito Ganryu joined Comme Des Garçons in 2004 as pattern maker for Junya Watanabe. Three years later, he launched his own line Ganryu still under the japanese group. In 2018 he decided to become independent launching his eponymous brand that made his debut at Pitti 94 in Florence. His trait is clearly japanese and the years spent at Comme Des Garçons clearly shaped his style. He designs functional clothes that harmonizes with the urban environment and nature keeping a conceptual and comfortable approach.
below the portrait of Fumito Ganryu (credit @Lorenzo Dalbosco).
Your morning motivation?
– Family, friends, team members and everyone who is involved with fumito ganryu.
Your remedy for a creative block?
– Never give up fighting with myself. Think oppositely and find hints from paradoxical perspective.
Your first destination if you could travel tomorrow?
– My hometown and Paris.
Your way of knowing when a collection/creation/project is finished?
– When I see people passing by wearing my collection.
Your rapport with the past, with nostalgia?
– To look back.
Your rapport with the future?
– To face forward.
Your approach to taking time for yourself?
– I consider that every moment is mine.
Your approach to social media?
– A necessary amount of time, only when necessary.
Your prediction for some aspect of the industry?
– It will be diversified and standardized at the same time.
Your prediction for some aspect of the world?
– The world will also be diversified and standardized at the same time.
Your happy place?
– My hometown and all the countries and cities I’ve visited.
Your favourite scent for feeling inspired or uplifted?
– Scents that make me sense the passing of the seasons.
Your outfit or pieces for feeling most self-assured?
– What I wear daily.
Your book to reread over and over again?
– History books.
Your words of wisdom?
– “Doubt words of wisdom”
Your expectations of yourself?
– I hope to continue presentations.
Your personal mantra?
– Being neutral and fair